Battle Conquest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Forum of the real time strategy game Battle Conquest!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Enemy flanking

Go down 
+3
RuneSlayer
Doom4
Jormogon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jormogon

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Maybe it is just me, but the AI seems to be able to get a "flanking" movement one one or 2 of the units get around the corner of a unit. That seems a bit wrong to me, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any problems with this.

Also attacking into and AI ball of enemies I have attacked from over 90 degrees from my line and not gotten a flank. So I would hope it is one way or the other on flanking.

Back to top Go down
Doom4

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: corner flanks   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 3:19 am

Yeah. I don't like how your enemy moves while it's attacking you and then suddenly your flanked?!
Back to top Go down
RuneSlayer

RuneSlayer

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 3:23 am

Jormogon wrote:
Maybe it is just me, but the AI seems to be able to get a "flanking" movement one one or 2 of the units get around the corner of a unit. That seems a bit wrong to me, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any problems with this.

Also attacking into and AI ball of enemies I have attacked from over 90 degrees from my line and not gotten a flank. So I would hope it is one way or the other on flanking.

You need to look at the direction of an individual enemy unit and not whether they are in a "ball" and you attacking their flanks. It is very possible that even though they are in a "ball" and you attack the left or right side of the "ball", the enemy unit you engage with has turned to face your unit and therefore not given you the flank.
Back to top Go down
Jormogon

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 7:28 am

So even if they are engaged the AI can turn to face us ? And if so why can't we do that. As far as I know once my unit is engaged in a similar ball fashion, I can't stop and face him unless either his target dies or I manually retreat him.
Back to top Go down
RuneSlayer

RuneSlayer

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 7:30 am

Jormogon wrote:
So even if they are engaged the AI can turn to face us ? And if so why can't we do that. As far as I know once my unit is engaged in a similar ball fashion, I can't stop and face him unless either his target dies or I manually retreat him.

No, of course they can't.
Back to top Go down
srhank

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 4:07 pm

I see the same issue. I chalk it up to not quite grokking the flanking rules, but I see that at the 45-90 angle range, the AI fairly consistently get a flank, I fairly consistently do not.
Back to top Go down
Jormogon

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2014 5:25 pm

By the time I get to flank them they have all engaged my HI, so I am not sure how they would be able to turn and face me.
Back to top Go down
Xargos

Xargos

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 2:47 am

I can confidently say that rules are the same for all units in a battle, AI does not get different chances of flanking/rearing whatsoever.

Additionally, the face of a unit should change after engagement only in the case of one-to-one unit combat and only after a combat round has passed.
Back to top Go down
Bobba

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 am

Xargos wrote:
I can confidently say that rules are the same for all units in a battle, AI does not get different chances of flanking/rearing whatsoever.

Additionally, the face of a unit should change after engagement only in the case of one-to-one unit combat and only after a combat round has passed.

Hmm... This seems wrong. I did a battle where the enemy HI was facing the opposite directions of my units and would not turn around. This gave me at least 1 unfair flank/rear and a melee bonus and it shouldn't have happened. A unit should turn to face the direction with the greatest number of enemies if it is not currently facing any other enemies. It seems that usually it works like that... but sometimes they will engage facing the wrong way, and never properly turn around. Not sure about the specifics but it needs to looked at.

Notice the HI facing up despite none of my units being that way.
Enemy flanking P0rDQ70
Back to top Go down
Piktas

Piktas

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 pm

RuneSlayer wrote:

You need to look at the direction of an individual enemy unit and not whether they are in a "ball" and you attacking their flanks. It is very possible that even though they are in a "ball" and you attack the left or right side of the "ball", the enemy unit you engage with has turned to face your unit and therefore not given you the flank.

This is exactly why units flee through enemy lines. You can engage 1 cavalry that comes first then a LIA then some LI and then HI. It becomes a ball whether you want it or not. Impossible to avoid it and all the units are facing head on. No flanks or rears then suddenly units start fleeing in random directions. There is something wrong with the flee mechanics and judging from the posts made in this topic looks like flanking mechanics are iffy as well.
Back to top Go down
Bobba

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Bobba wrote:
Xargos wrote:

Hmm... This seems wrong. I did a battle where the enemy HI was facing the opposite directions of my units and would not turn around. This gave me at least 1 unfair flank/rear and a melee bonus and it shouldn't have happened. A unit should turn to face the direction with the greatest number of enemies if it is not currently facing any other enemies. It seems that usually it works like that... but sometimes they will engage facing the wrong way, and never properly turn around. Not sure about the specifics but it needs to looked at.

Notice the HI facing up despite none of my units being that way.
Enemy flanking P0rDQ70

Just letting you guys know I still feel like this is an issue that should be looked into, whether it is the intended effect or not it causes a lot of annoyance when I go to flank my opponent just to realize they aren't facing the way I expected and are instead facing backwards...
Back to top Go down
Xargos

Xargos

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 3:33 am

It is scheduled to be looked into, Bobba. We need time! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bobba

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am

Xargos wrote:
It is scheduled to be looked into, Bobba. We need time! Smile

Thank you, that's all I am asking for.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Enemy flanking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enemy flanking   Enemy flanking I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Enemy flanking
Page 1 of 1