Battle Conquest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Forum of the real time strategy game Battle Conquest!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mild control over fleeing units

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tops

Mild control over fleeing units Empty
PostSubject: Mild control over fleeing units   Mild control over fleeing units I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 6:31 pm

IMO, you should be able to select a fleeing unit and it should have two orders.

1) Continue: When the unit is done fleeing, it keeps moving in the same direction it's been

2) Halt: When the unit is done fleeing, it will stop where it is (as they currently do)

This is mostly because I'm sick of having fleeing units randomly halt and get themselves senselessly killed. If I have an LI that's fleeing from another LI, and a cavalry unit right there in the process of saving it, it's nothing short of infuriating for them to randomly stop fleeing and get insta-killed. That might sound like an oddly detailed scenario, but it's a common one that happens to me in about half or more of my co-ops.
Back to top Go down
Ulfriden

Ulfriden

PostSubject: Re: Mild control over fleeing units   Mild control over fleeing units I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Why not?
Not the top list of things to do but it is a good suggestion Wink

+1

agree Like a Star @ heaven 
Back to top Go down
WorldEater

WorldEater

PostSubject: Re: Mild control over fleeing units   Mild control over fleeing units I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2014 11:50 pm

An excellent suggestion!
I concur, it's a far too common situation when a fleeing unit recovers just enough morale to stop and be instantly backstabbed and killed by pursuing enemy (At least for me this happens often, teach me better tactics, folks  Very Happy 

Controlled retreat would be a great improvement.
Let's break the situation down. When do you want a unit to run away?

1. It's current engagement it disadvantageous, i.e. flanked, reared, just heavily mobbed, but a unit still got much of its health.
  2. It is battered down to few soldiers or half-dead hero, has no offensive capability whatsoever, and you just need it out of batttlefield quickest way possible.

Now, what would be a better way to handle these situations than mindless fleeing?
I see it this way:
case 1) You press a button, the unit starts fleeing like it does now, but proceeds to move in that direction unless ordered otherwise, also, you regain control of the unit after it ran about 2 - 5 times its size (less for cavalry, more for artillery);

case 2) You press another button, and the unit flees all the way out of the field, there could be no control regained of it.

Button 2 could be current "Retreat" button, cause it works almost like that now, but I would suggest to call button 1 "Retreat" cause it makes more sense - a unit is consciously, tactically retreating; and "Retreat" button would be named "Flee" or "Withdraw" or something.

While this might be a great improvement on PvE, I suppose it's impact on PvP would be more questionable. But I don't PvP much, so let the seasoned veterans of the craft comment on that.
Back to top Go down
Bobba

PostSubject: Re: Mild control over fleeing units   Mild control over fleeing units I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 2:11 am

I like the basic idea, but I think it should be a bit simpler.

1.) Allow selecting fleeing units.

2.) Allow giving orders to fleeing units just like any other unit. A order flag will appear on the field as usual when you give an order, and when they are done fleeing they will immediately carry out that order you gave their unit.

So all the player has to do is select their fleeing unit, tell it where to go when it's done fleeing, then go back to focusing on the rest of the battle.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Ulfriden

Ulfriden

PostSubject: Re: Mild control over fleeing units   Mild control over fleeing units I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2014 8:25 am

Bobba wrote:
I like the basic idea, but I think it should be a bit simpler.

1.) Allow selecting fleeing units.

2.) Allow giving orders to fleeing units just like any other unit. A order flag will appear on the field as usual when you give an order, and when they are done fleeing they will immediately carry out that order you gave their unit.

So all the player has to do is select their fleeing unit, tell it where to go when it's done fleeing, then go back to focusing on the rest of the battle.  Smile 

more in line with game mechanics!  study  Quote and agree  Like a Star @ heaven 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mild control over fleeing units   Mild control over fleeing units I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mild control over fleeing units
Page 1 of 1