Battle Conquest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Forum of the real time strategy game Battle Conquest!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Non-standard troops

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AgentAAA

AgentAAA

Non-standard troops Empty
PostSubject: Non-standard troops   Non-standard troops I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:45 am

Alright, I'm horrible at explaining an idea directly, so I'll start off with a short anecdote about warhammer.

When I used to be interested in warhammer, (didn't play, but read and watched commentary on matches, kept up with it, did play a few matches online.) I was rather interested in the orcs and goblins.

What was quite interesting about them was the breadth and uniqueness of their units - you could have orc boyz and arrer boys, yes, but you had another option - goblins and goblin archers. these units were much weaker, much less skilled, and much more susceptible to morale loss, but they were cheap in army points and were good at pinning units in combat - as well as being meatshields for the stronger orcs. Some people even fielded armies with just goblin-type units.

Even further below that were snotling swarms, which were a small and weak unit that could be given explosive spores as a one-shot attack with good effectiveness, to make up for their lack of skill in - everything else, really. these 2 low-AP units didn't really fit into a tier with any other unit, but they were still balanced towards everything else - they just had a unique niche they could fill.

Now, I'll start off, as I get to my main point, by saying this is in no way a criticism as to how the game's units are developing so far. there's a couple balance issues, but nothing game-breaking, and you can feel a lot of creativity in it.
However, what is noticeable so far is that the established core of each race's army is the same. - they vary in effectiveness, but light infantry, archers, heavy infantry, cavalry, and artillery are all very similar, in basic use and tactics. Not the same, and there's a definite difference between each unit, but it's small and they fit the same tactics, and role. The one noticable exception to this is the dwarven battle fort, of course.

Now, before I go on, to further clarify, I am also not asking for a change on this. It's a solid core and it gives everyone the necessary tactical options. I'd rather not see it messed with, at least. But what I would like to see is the new units filling more specialized roles that are less similar - units that don't unbalance the game, but do offer different tactics and playstyles than anything the counterpart units have to offer. Something different, that gives each race a unique way to do things, rather than being only somewhat different compared to it's counter-part.

This would be much more effort to balance, I understand, but I still think it would add more flavor to different races and encourage a more dynamic battle-field.

Back to top Go down
RuneSlayer

RuneSlayer

PostSubject: Re: Non-standard troops   Non-standard troops I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 2:16 am

AgentAAA wrote:
Alright, I'm horrible at explaining an idea directly, so I'll start off with a short anecdote about warhammer.

When I used to be interested in warhammer, (didn't play, but read and watched commentary on matches, kept up with it, did play a few matches online.) I was rather interested in the orcs and goblins.

What was quite interesting about them was the breadth and uniqueness of their units - you could have orc boyz and arrer boys, yes, but you had another option - goblins and goblin archers. these units were much weaker, much less skilled, and much more susceptible to morale loss, but they were cheap in army points and were good at pinning units in combat - as well as being meatshields for the stronger orcs. Some people even fielded armies with just goblin-type units.

Even further below that were snotling swarms, which were a small and weak unit that could be given explosive spores as a one-shot attack with good effectiveness, to make up for their lack of skill in - everything else, really. these 2 low-AP units didn't really fit into a tier with any other unit, but they were still balanced towards everything else - they just had a unique niche they could fill.

Now, I'll start off, as I get to my main point, by saying this is in no way a criticism as to how the game's units are developing so far. there's a couple balance issues, but nothing game-breaking, and you can feel a lot of creativity in it.
However, what is noticeable so far is that the established core of each race's army is the same. - they vary in effectiveness, but light infantry, archers, heavy infantry, cavalry, and artillery are all very similar, in basic use and tactics. Not the same, and there's a definite difference between each unit, but it's small and they fit the same tactics, and role. The one noticable exception to this is the dwarven battle fort, of course.

Now, before I go on, to further clarify, I am also not asking for a change on this. It's a solid core and it gives everyone the necessary tactical options. I'd rather not see it messed with, at least. But what I would like to see is the new units filling more specialized roles that are less similar - units that don't unbalance the game, but do offer different tactics and playstyles than anything the counterpart units have to offer. Something different, that gives each race a unique way to do things, rather than being only somewhat different compared to it's counter-part.

This would be much more effort to balance, I understand, but I still think it would add more flavor to different races and encourage a more dynamic battle-field.

We are fans of tabletop strategy games, board games and strategy games in general. Our intention with Battle Conquest is not to copy Warhammer or any other game, but rather create a new system by using a fantasy setting which involves many mythical creatures.

Having said that, the rest of the units which are currently being prepared, are not just going to be with the same stats of current units but with different skins. They will have different characteristics. I'm going to spoil the surprise, but at least the first unit will be available tomorrow so no harm done. The new units are going to be damage dealers, BUT with no armor. Although they are going to be of Infantry type, players will be able to choose between the current Infantry which has Armor and the new unit which doesn't have Armor, but will probably inflict more damage. This should provide more tactical options, as it is up to the player how he will create his army. Just Light Infantry? Just damage dealers? A combination?
Back to top Go down
Hegorn

Hegorn

PostSubject: Re: Non-standard troops   Non-standard troops I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 2:49 am

Excellent addition! Thanks.

How are the units obtained? Or have you spoiled enough already?

Back to top Go down
AgentAAA

AgentAAA

PostSubject: Re: Non-standard troops   Non-standard troops I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 2:55 am

oh, of course. I would never ask for you to simply copy another game, and that was not the main intention of what I meant at all. This game is quite creative, and a good amount of the respect I have for it is both it's originality and it's commitment to said originality - You don't follow the "trends" of the average MMORTS, and you have respect for your fanbase. Both of these are incredible to find in any game, and I'm glad the team at Agincourt is so willing to break the mold and listen to it's fanbase.

my point was less to "be" warhammer, but simply to point out one specific aspect of the game, which was a dynamic balance. The actual reason I was drawn to warhammer was that though in a loose sense, every army had similar specific roles - swordsmen, archers, etc., it also had a few special units that played a very dynamic role - to put it in another way, there was a clear resemblance between dwarf warriors and orc boys - they shared a role, a certain similarity in stats, had a similar way of engaging, and so on - these warriors were on a subtle scale different pieces, but tactically similar in how they were used, and how they appeared.

The point I was trying to make is that there are other units in the game, such as the snotlings, that didn't have a clearly similar unit used by any other race - that is, no other race in the game had a unit that performed their specific functions, or were used tactically in quite the same fashion. Their basic role was still filled by other units, sometimes in a far better capacity, but nothing the other races possessed had the same similarity to it that an elven swordsmen and a dwarven warrior might possess.

secondly, Thank you for the info on the new unit, and it sounds like quite the unit indeed. I'm already thinking on new strategies to use with this so-far-unreleased new piece that will soon be at my disposal. I'm certain I'm not the only one anticipating this either.
Back to top Go down
RuneSlayer

RuneSlayer

PostSubject: Re: Non-standard troops   Non-standard troops I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 4:30 am

The unit will be able to be recruited normally from the Barracks.

Additional units will be added, so I am sure we will have a great variety and some pretty special for each race. Wink
Back to top Go down
Khor

Khor

PostSubject: Re: Non-standard troops   Non-standard troops I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:11 am

BERSERKEEEEERRRRRRRRS

Heros of might and magic 5 dwarves had Berserkers, very little armor, good speed, dual katars.

Warlords Battlecry 3 had a different kind of Dwarven Berserker, entirely encased in armor, EXTREMELY slow, absolute beast in battle since his army was covered in spikes right down to his hands. His armor was his weapon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non-standard troops   Non-standard troops I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Non-standard troops
Page 1 of 1