Battle Conquest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Forum of the real time strategy game Battle Conquest!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gwar

Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves? Empty
PostSubject: Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves?   Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 11:24 pm

I recently started with nightmare battles, which are indeed (as they should be) fairly tough.

But as a dwarf, the only gripe I have is artillery: I just can't figure out any tactic to keep damage within reasonable terms. Problem is: A) dwarfs are slow, we don't have horse Cav to run up to Arty and smash it, and B) since enemy arty doesn't appear to require LOS, all of my units are basically crawling cannon fodder.

Only thing I could think of is equipping assault with godlike +movement items and have them act similar to Cavalry, but even that seems like a quick fix at best.

Is there any way this can be balanced out a bit?
I accept that dwarf are slow, I was happy enough with my dwarf tactics so far, but imho any situation should have a tactical solution available, and frankly I just don't see any tactical solutions for this (xcept maybe wait forever for my own arty then take out their arty with my arty...which now that I think of it also doesn't sound too bright)

For now, I will just keep sending one unit straight up the map (and hope it doesn't get intercepted).

Back to top Go down
Hegorn

Hegorn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves?   Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I agree this is quite problematic for dwarves - much more so than any other race. They simply do not have a proper cavalry role.

I could see giving the Ironfort an ability like "Steam Rush" that has a cooldown and causes the IronFort to briefly pause, then rush hard in a fixed direction for X distance whenever it is given the order to engage an enemy. It will only attempt this rush when the player targets a unit. It might cause a single heavy hit to units it passes through.

It wouldnt be useful for traveling all over the map like other cavalry, but it would give the Ironfort the ability to close gaps. The unit would retain its unique Dwarven flavor while adding a good portion of the needed mobility. I would think stats on the unit may need to be changed a bit depending on how powerful the "Steam Rush" ability is.

I also think that rushing mechanic is too cool to give only to 1 unit on 1 side. Perhaps when we see the next round of units, some of them would have an ability like that.

I'll let dwarf players speak up more on this suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Mephy

PostSubject: Re: Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves?   Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I wonder how the AI would use the Rush ability lol. Would be hilarious.
Nonetheless, a great <flavourful> suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Rokun

Rokun

PostSubject: Re: Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves?   Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I can't vouch for AI artillery but for the UD (No LOS required), seperate your units, it generally won't hit the group it targets unless that group is stopped, it will however hit groups slightly behind it. But I agree, this still is an issue that should be fixed for dwarves. Maybe with the new "Special unit" they could fix this advantage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves?   Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dark Arty and LOS: unbalanced towards dwarves?
Page 1 of 1