Battle Conquest
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Forum of the real time strategy game Battle Conquest!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anduin

Anduin

Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution Empty
PostSubject: Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution   Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 6:16 am

I think that mechanisms designed to achieve balance between the two sides lead to a stalemate situation, which causes people to quit the game.   There are three major stalemate mechanics that I am aware of.

The first is the capital armies.  These armies attack more rapidly when their side is losing, because the army does not need to travel as far.  The winning side's army has to travel further, so it attacks much slower.  This is effectively automated CP generation for the losing side.

The second is giving an automated bonus to new players to join the less active side.  On Olympus, the light side has 51 pages of players, while the dark side has only 37 pages of players.  This mechanic seems to punish effort.  If one side pushes hard because they want to win, they become more active, so the other side gets more new players to balance CP generation.

The third is the regional attack restrictions.  These are the nail in the coffin.  On Olympus, the dark side only had 2-3 players who were able to do suicide runs when we were attacking the capital.  It was literally impossible to do.

All three of these mechanics need to go.  I can understand the reason that they existed, they were intended to prevent one side from crushing the other side repeatedly.  However, they achieve 'balance' by causing a stalemate, which is arguably worse.

I think there is a much better way to balance things without causing a stalemate.  Rather than basing the starting bonus for new players on activity levels, simply give the starting bonus to a faction after their capital falls.  If the light capital falls on Olympus, give new players a massive bonus to join the light side for a month following the fall of the light capital.

This would shift the balance of power.  I think this is easily sufficient to prevent one side from repeatedly farming the other side without making the primary objective of sacking the capital impossible.

As it stands the only way to take a capital is if the defending side goes inactive.
Back to top Go down
Pyr

PostSubject: Re: Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution   Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 9:52 am

i think that there are 4 cases to balance things

Anduin wrote:

The first is the capital armies. These armies attack more rapidly when their side is losing, because the army does not need to travel as far. The winning side's army has to travel further, so it attacks much slower. This is effectively automated CP generation for the losing side.

and i think its ok not much cp just a slight think i would leve it as it is consider that if there will be more players armies with their cp will have less influece

Anduin wrote:

The second is giving an automated bonus to new players to join the less active side. On Olympus, the light side has 51 pages of players, while the dark side has only 37 pages of players. This mechanic seems to punish effort. If one side pushes hard because they want to win, they become more active, so the other side gets more new players to balance CP generation.

i would change it to put players in less player fraction of course i would cout only active players let say players with more than week without login are not active ( easy to chage if necessary)

Anduin wrote:

The third is the regional attack restrictions. These are the nail in the coffin. On Olympus, the dark side only had 2-3 players who were able to do suicide runs when we were attacking the capital. It was literally impossible to do.

well i see lots of changes there maby i will poit that out
a) gulid regions
-i will aty a wall thing but with a little more influence
-i will ad somthing like hospital/barracks defensive bulig that will ad certain cp amout per hour/minute let say about 100 cp per hour per lvl or something like that
b) no gulid owned region
- i would put there something like mercenary tent ( something like that ) where you could buy a mercenery which will ad certain amount of cp int region conteiner like 50 or 100 one time per 6 hours (map calculating)
c) capital region
for sure there should be more dificult but i think everyone should have a chance to fight it
in my opinin there should be pvp nad pvp fight just two buttons
-pvp is as we know it face oposig fraction player
-pve facing mirror army with +2 lvl and +1 to gear lvl( i got 4 li lvl 6 and 2 hi lvl 6 with all rare equpment al got 4 li lvl 8 2 hi lvl 8 and all epic gear ) hmm maby that is too much Very Happy but well something like that

cp balance thing as i understand rune good there is something that gives light or dark fraction bonus cp if opposing fraction done more cp last cycle

i would throw it out and burry it deep i think thats the main problem without thiat thing lght fraction would be conqered in last year

Back to top Go down
uflb999

PostSubject: Re: Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution   Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Anduin wrote:
I think that mechanisms designed to achieve balance between the two sides lead to a stalemate situation, which causes people to quit the game.   There are three major stalemate mechanics that I am aware of.

The first is the capital armies.  These armies attack more rapidly when their side is losing, because the army does not need to travel as far.  The winning side's army has to travel further, so it attacks much slower.  This is effectively automated CP generation for the losing side.

The second is giving an automated bonus to new players to join the less active side.  On Olympus, the light side has 51 pages of players, while the dark side has only 37 pages of players.  This mechanic seems to punish effort.  If one side pushes hard because they want to win, they become more active, so the other side gets more new players to balance CP generation.

The third is the regional attack restrictions.  These are the nail in the coffin.  On Olympus, the dark side only had 2-3 players who were able to do suicide runs when we were attacking the capital.  It was literally impossible to do.

All three of these mechanics need to go.  I can understand the reason that they existed, they were intended to prevent one side from crushing the other side repeatedly.  However, they achieve 'balance' by causing a stalemate, which is arguably worse.

I think there is a much better way to balance things without causing a stalemate.  Rather than basing the starting bonus for new players on activity levels, simply give the starting bonus to a faction after their capital falls.  If the light capital falls on Olympus, give new players a massive bonus to join the light side for a month following the fall of the light capital.

This would shift the balance of power.  I think this is easily sufficient to prevent one side from repeatedly farming the other side without making the primary objective of sacking the capital impossible.

As it stands the only way to take a capital is if the defending side goes inactive.

I know for a fact game has caused many to be sick of stalemate...I hate it too Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution   Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stalemate Mechanics - My Solution
Page 1 of 1